Saturday, December 09, 2006

We Walked in Song

In a "new album exclusive" at Keith Abbott's IMDiscog.com, it's been announced that next year's Innocence Mission record will be called We Walked in Song.

Very hymn-like, very IM-like. And also a bit sad. Why is it We Walked in Song and not We Walk in Song?

One of the best tracks on the last IM album proper, Befriended, is called I Never Knew You From the Sun and I believe it's about Karen's mother, though I could be wrong. Regardless, it captures perfectly what this album title brings to mind: loss. So in honor of that, here are the lyrics to INKYFTS. If you don't own it, it's worth quite a bit more than that 99 cents.

I Never Knew You From The Sun
(for Mary McCullough)

What a time it was.
I was befriended and was a friend
for the longest while. You were here,
and I never knew you from the sun.

Snow is on the ground
but this is not my landscape now,
where I find myself without you.
Oh I never knew you from the sun.

Oh I had a friend. I had a friend I loved.
Now I walk for miles
into dark forests of piano songs. I'm lost.

Deep into my sleeves, deep in my sleeves,
pockets down where I always reach,
you are there.
Oh I never knew you from the sun,
never, never knew you from the sun.
The Innocence Mission - I Never Knew You From the Sun [iTunes]

No comments: