Saturday, January 06, 2007

I Move the Stars for No One!

We were real busy at work yesterday (really, we were) but somehow we had time to discuss Jim Henson's 1986 classic Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly, on which Ally and I grew up and Eric somehow was deprived. I did my best to sing "Magic Dance" to Eric ("You remind me of the babe" "What babe?" "The babe with the power." "What power?" "The power of voo doo." "Who do?" "You do." "Do what?" "Remind me of the babe.")

But the Most Valuable Song from this film is "Within You" posted below. "I move the stars for no one" is the perfect line to use on your significant other to either a) Refuse a ridiculous request or b) Refer to all the shit you've done for them but would never do for another human being.



Bowie's performance in this film actually got me thinking yesterday - what a great way for an artist to introduce himself or herself to a new generation of fans. I'm sure I would have grown up a Bowie fan regardless, but I like him so much more now because of this first association with him, when I was 8 years old and didn't know who the heck he was, other than a really cool, slightly scary goblin king who could walk through M.C. Esher paintings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I loved the Labyrinth so much. I used to watch it at every single slumber party I had from about 1986 until around 8th grade when my friends actually had an intervention of sorts and told me that no one wanted to watch it anymore, it was a baby movie and I should rent Nightmare on Elm Street.

For my money, Jared is still way more provocative and frightening than Freddy Kruger. There's no contest!

Thanks for the video!

Matthew said...

I found the actual scene from the film, so I changed it. Nice!